Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP pruning not changing

dirar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My VTP server is running, when I add a new vlan it gets added to all client switches. But when enabling or disabling vtp pruning it doen't get propagated or values do not change on domain switches. Any idea why this is happening?

VTP Server: 4500x

VTP Clients: 2960x

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

as long all your switches are compatible for  the vtp version your running then all should be okay 

note - vtp version 1 and 2 are NOT compatible with each other.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello

what vtp version are you running, are you using the same domain? -
When you mention vtp pruning do you mean pruning dynamically or manually?

Note: once you enable it globally dynamically you cannot then disable it globally it needs to be removed manually from each device and also some vlans are not able to be pruned ( vlan1, 1002 + )

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello,

I'm using VTP version 3. Vlans are working well, but when I globally enable it, it doesn't work. "sh vtp stat" still showing different values on domain switches

Hello

Okay in ver 3 you need to enable pruning on each switch individually it isnt proper gated through the vtp domain like in ver 1-2

Is your vtp server also the vtp primary if so just force an update from the vtp primary

vtp primary force

Kind Regards
Paul

didn't know it's there is an issue with VTP v3. I can managed to do it manually, but I needed to know it's not an issue with the VTP setup.

Thank you

Hello

as long all your switches are compatible for  the vtp version your running then all should be okay 

note - vtp version 1 and 2 are NOT compatible with each other.

Kind Regards
Paul

Mehdi.a.majid1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have the same Question, But I think that since you are using the VTP v3 then you cannot just issue the #vtp pruning on the Primary-server-VTP and being able to propagate the pruning state to the other VTP v3 SWs in your VTP-Domain, 

and I think that the reason is :

VLAN Pruning

A pruning mechanism has been implemented into VLAN Trunk Protocol (VTP) to optimize the available bandwidth on trunks. As with both earlier VTP versions, pruning is available with VTP version 3 for the first 1k VLANs except VLAN1.
If my conclusion is wrong please correct me anyone.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card