Views
Helpful
Replies

What to buy when it's my first Cisco

matmartini
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

if I choose a 6500 chassis what must I add if I want to use it as a switch ?

I've got 20 servers, with two ethernet cards (gigabits) so I need two modules 10/100/1000 rj45.

I've got 96 ports rj45 100Mb for the computers in the building.

After I've got to buy an alimentation, which one I don't know.

After I've to buy a supervision module, which one I don't know.

If there is more things to buy tell me.

Why a catalyst 6500 ?

I've the choice between 4500 and 6500 series and I saw that it's possible to add a 10Gb module on 6500 series.

I'm needing some help.

Thanks,

Matthieu.

4 Replies 4

matmartini
Level 1
Level 1

Nobody wants to answer ?

nomanbari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You should try using Cisco Configuration Tool...I don't know whether you have used it before but this tool will assist you in coming up with the configuration that you are looking for. Here is the link,

http://www.cisco.com/appcontent/apollo/configureHomeGuest.html

One advice is that when you are using this tool and find any part that is rocket science to you then you should copy and paste that part no. in Cisco's search engine available on cisco.com and you will find the complete detail for that part.

Catalyst 4500 does support 10GiG capability with WS-X4516-10GE(=) supervisor engine but it has 2 10GE ports. From what I can remember, the Catalyst 4500 with the mentioned sup can support maximum 2 10GE ports (verify this) whereas 6500 can support more 10GE ports. I can't understand what exactly you are planning to do with 10GE, is it part of your future expansion plan??

I hope this helps..

Regards,

Noman Bari

Thanks a lot for this link.

Now I'm able to do a configuration by myself.

Otherwhise why 10 gb, maybe for the future, but not for the moment.

I've got one more question, we've got 12 optical fiber between 2 informatics room and I want to agregate them.

Is it possible using a 6 GBIC module ?

Is it interesting to do this ?

thanks,

Matthieu

Hi,

Good to hear that your problem got solved..

As far as link aggregation is concerned there is a possibility through Fast EtherChannel or Gigabit Etthernet (GEC) (the latter will be deployed in your scenerio) through which you can aggregate 2 to 8 links... There are two protocols available to do this, Cisco Proprietry PaGP and standard based LACP..

For complete information please go through the following link:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

I hope this helps...

Regards,

Noman Bari

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card