Views
Helpful
Replies

WIC and 'speed' on 2951

m.x
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

Best wishes for the new year, may it be safe and outdoors again! 

For a Cisco 2951 I have a speed issue. The chassis should be able to put 1Gbs through and it does so on the G0/0-G0/2 ports. However teh WIC cards do not go over 250+Mb.. And i cannot figure out why?!  

Are there differend WIC manufactures? Like SIERRA for 4G? Or is it another configuration I am missing. On the G0/2 I have 800Mbs and on the G0/0/0 no more then 250+.

Does anyone know what I'm missing? Is it a Layer2 thing? Any advice would be most welcome!

Stay safe!

Greetings Marnix

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, the 75 Mbps (duplex) is what the router can support, with most of its features active, using an IMIX traffic mix, and not exceeding an average of 75% CPU.  The 2951 best case performance is documented at 5.136 Gbps (aggregate).  (See attachment for all the details.)

Yes, there's a difference between WIC generations; it's mainly the module's bandwidth to/from the router.

HWIC - 400 Mbps, EHWIC - 800 Mbps - vendor should be able to tell you which generation their module is.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the model of WIC, show module or show inventory. 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

are you talking about WAN thoughput ? As far as I recall, there is no way you can get a throughput higher than what you achieve (250Mbps is a lot more than what this router 'officially' supports, which is somehwere around 75Mbps).

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WIC/HWIC/EHWIC modules have physical bandwidth limitations (?/400/800 Mbps [duplex], respectively) on their bus interface to the hosting device.  The host device might further limit this.

For example, for the 2951, Cisco recommends if for only 75 Mbps of WAN [duplex] bandwidth, although it can do more.  Much depends on the "kind" of traffic and configuration of the router.

m.x
Level 1
Level 1

The module in question is:

NAME: "CISCO2951/K9", DESCR: "CISCO2951/K9 chassis, Hw Serial#: FCZ202941AG, Hw Revision: 1.1"
PID: CISCO2951/K9      , VID: V06 , SN: FCZ202941AG

NAME: "4 Port GE Non-POE EHWIC Switch on Slot 0 SubSlot 0", DESCR: "4 Port GE Non-POE EHWIC Switch"
PID: EHWIC-4ESG        , VID: V01 , SN: FOC17376ELL

Thank you all for replying of course! Where can I find the info on throughput of the WIC? And is there a difference in suppliers? In 4g there is a manufacturer SIERRA that also uses its own software... could that be an issue? Or the firmware?

Again, thanks in advance!

I was unable to find max throughput for a WIC, but likely a 100 Mbps or less.

However, you have a EHWIC so the module interface should support 800 Mbps.

Thank you for your response! Apologies for my late response. 

I'm still confused. The WAN throughput is G0/0, G0/1 and G0/2 is 75Mbps? That sounds low.

And there is a difference between WIC and EHWIC?

I also have a list from our supplier about these (EH)WIC how does one recognize the 400/800 type?

I am relatively new at this so my apologies for all the questions.

Marnix

No, the 75 Mbps (duplex) is what the router can support, with most of its features active, using an IMIX traffic mix, and not exceeding an average of 75% CPU.  The 2951 best case performance is documented at 5.136 Gbps (aggregate).  (See attachment for all the details.)

Yes, there's a difference between WIC generations; it's mainly the module's bandwidth to/from the router.

HWIC - 400 Mbps, EHWIC - 800 Mbps - vendor should be able to tell you which generation their module is.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: