Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless ISP, 2620 and BGP

mbaig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've a cisco2620 with a T1 modules connected with a primary ISP. I'm in process of getting another ISP, wireless ISP, to do BGP for multihoming. The wireless ISP connection comes in as a CAT5, there is no need for a csu/dsu. I've another 2620 which i would like to use with this ISP but it only has one fastethernet port and one T1 WIC. The solution given to me by ISP is to buy a 1port Ethernet WIC for 2620 and connect it with their connection and do BGP

on that while connecting the FastEthernet port on the LAN. Does this makes sense ? Has anyone tried such configuration before without a wireless ISP? the 2620 has 64 megs of ram and i plan to get defaults routes only. Any advise/insight will be appriciated.

TIA

1 Reply 1

ahvn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have not tried running BGP with ethernet WIC as the advertising interface. But considering your scenario I feel you could request your wireless ISP to advertise your range of IP's to their ISP .Why I am saying this is b'cos wireless connectivity as you know is the extension of their LAN so if they could advertise your IP range based on a policy prescribed by you, you can very well control your incoming traffic. You should consider a policy based routing for this as you have another ISP connected and advertisements to both these should be in a way that balance the traffic.

Hope you undestand what I meant. All the best !!!

Rgds,

Homin

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card