cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2851 Router will not boot from CF, after reload goes into rommon

GDunban01
Level 1
Level 1

I recently obtained a 2851 and have been battling this issue for a week now. An odd set of circumstances happen with the bootstrap startup process. If the router has loss of power or when reloaded; it fails to read the CF card and boots to rommon. I can tftp an image to it (tftpdnld -r) and IOS CAN read the flash card along with any saved configuration.

In fact once in IOS, I can wr mem and print the hardware details of the CF card. Once I reload the router it goes to rommon, fails to open the flash, then sits until i tftp the image back. When the router load IOS, it also loads the startup config.

I don't think it's a problem with the CF card as IOS can read it. I've tried formatting the card from IOS and from my pc as FAT, FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS - it didn't make a different. I updated the ROMMON to allow for USB booting but haven't purchased a USB Drive yet for testing. The upgrade didn't resolve this issue either. It almost seems like a firmware problem with the EPROM.

I've played with the config register to see what, if any, impact it had. Currently it's set to 0x2102, putting it in the diag register didn't produce any other errors than what's listed below.

I'm stumped and out of ideas. Hoping somebody has some insight on what could be causing this to happen.

Apprecite your time reading my question.

Upgrade ROMMON initialized

program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80

open(): Open Error = -66

loadprog: error - on file open

boot: cannot load "flash:c2800nm-advsecurityk9-

mz.151-3.T2.bin"
c2851 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory
Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with ECC enabled

boot: cannot open "flash:"
boot: cannot determine first executable file name on device "flash:"

Entering rommon> prompt after several failed attempts to boot an IOS image.
Please check your internal/external flash drives for the correct IOS image
and issue 'reset' at the rommon> prompt to re-try the boot process.
rommon>
15 Replies 15

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Boot IOS, update rommon,try again.

Note: cisco.com downloads require a valid support contract.

GDunban01
Level 1
Level 1

I updated rommon already, same issue. I didn't have bootusb ability until I did the update, but the same issue remains.

Then rommon is unable to read CF, you can try "dir flash:" in rommon. You can try another CF module.

The fact that IOS can read/write CF does not indicate that rommon can, as they are different code.

GDunban01
Level 1
Level 1

Just an update. Any rommon commands (dev, dir, etc) do not see cf or usb in either port. Using boot system flash & boot system usbflash0 didn't make a difference. I don't think this is resolvable via software fix, and assume this to be an issue with the eprom. Appreciate the advice and assistance, replacement will be my next step.

Have you tried different types of CF and USB memory ?

Yes, I have tried different types of CF and USB with the same result. I have "official" cisco 256mb cf and a sandisk cf. I have tried various brands of usbflash.

I added boot system statements to the config to cf, then usb0, then usb1 to see if perhaps one would read. It looks like it doesn't bother after the first device fails. This is only for my studies and I can deal with "tftpdnld -r" every time I boot it. Just was trying to nail down any other possibilies.

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2009 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Initializing memory for ECC

boot: cannot load "flash:c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.151-2.T1.bin"

Entering rommon> prompt after several failed attempts to boot an IOS image. 

Please check your internal/external flash drives for the correct IOS image

and issue 'reset' at the rommon> prompt to re-try the boot process.

rommon 1 >

boot: cannot load "flash:c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.151-2.T1.bin

The router can't read the IOS file (c2800nm-ipvoice-mz.151-2.T1.bin).  The router couldn't even begin.

Can you post the output to the command "dir flash:" please?

Any rommon commands (dev, dir, etc) do not see cf or usb in either port.

You are both right and wrong. 

You are right that in ROMmon, the command to boot from USB is not available.  This is because the command is "hidden".   In ROMmon, try the command "boot usbflash0:filename.txt".  As you know, in ROMmon, no shortcuts allowed to the word "usbflashX:" has to spelled out completely.

mw185086
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have this problem as well,

I copied all files off a good working 128 meg compact flash to usb, then copied them all back to a new 256 meg compact flash formated on the same router (2800) and when i try to boot of it get the

open(): Open Error = -66 error.

Any idea on what has gone wrong,  I too am just teaching myself stuff on my home lab,

Cheers Mike

OP here, I've just gotten used to doing an ios tftp every time I turn the router on from rommon. I try not to powercycle the router while doing labs but I've not found anything that fixed mine.

As mentioned above, as soon as I tftp the IOS over it automagically loads the config and reads all flash types, it's just during initial boot. I never continued researching rommon versions or looking through the bug toolkit. Might head that direction if you have access though.

Try another CF card.

Copy the image using router IOS, not PC.

Post the complete boot log as well output of "set" and "dir flash:" from rommon.

open(): Open Error = -66 error.

The IOS is corrupt.  Compare the MD5 hash values against the ones in the Cisco Download website.

mw185086
Level 1
Level 1

Hi here we go,

I think i may have sused our problem, I have found a cisco field notice FN62573 which highlights a faulty batch of compact flash's made which gives this problem, the fix is to update my rommon, but as my CF was purchased for lab work, i would have to upgrage all routers i use it on, not very clever. I purchased two cisco CF 256meg to avoid this sort of issue as I had read other makes gave issues. may be I should have just bought two new ones for £10 of diffrent make, these are 2006 and has the 980 cylinders mentioned in the field notice.

Both the new cf's are same batch and displaythe same fault with just one file on it, this being the IOS, I recon the ebay seller knew this hence probably got them for nothing and sold them to me for £40 the pair, 

any way going forward, toinight after work i intend to read the field notice and try to update the rommon, this will be a good exercise in itself.

All coments apreciated  Many thanks to all that reply

here is the output

Readonly ROMMON initialized

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.

PLD version 0x10

GIO ASIC version 0x127

c2801 platform with 393216 Kbytes of main memory

Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

Readonly ROMMON initialized

rommon 1 >

eadonly ROMMON initialized

rommon 1 >

rommon 1 > set

PS1=rommon ! >

?=0

WARM_REBOOT=

BSI=0

RANDOM_NUM=1194184284

RET_2_RTS=06:40:20 UTC Thu Jul 18 2013

RET_2_RCALTS=1374129622

rommon 2 > dir flash

bad device name

usage: dir

rommon 3 >

There is no point in buying Cisco memory.

You can update rommon, and/or return faulty part using ebay or paypal buyer protection.

note: flash: is spelled with a final column.

Hi Michael,

All my ISR 1 routers and Sup720 cards sport a 2 Gb CF.  Cisco does NOT sell 2 Gb CF.  I hope you got the hint. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: