Helpful
Replies

2950 Switch to 2950 Switch over CAT5 backbone

mark_Bayliss
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

Newbie question here.

Whats the best configuration to connect a 2950 switch to a 2950 switch over CAT5. Assuming I will be using FA0/24 port on both of the switches. Do I use Static Access or Trunking? Not sure.

Someone help

4 Replies 4

amitbatra
Level 1
Level 1

hi

it depends upon your requirement.if ur using vlans in ur network then trunk is the best option.if you are using default vlan ,then access port works fine.bcoz using trunk link it will increase the frame size ..

anand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Trunking Port allow only the VLAN traffic between the switches if VLAN has been implemented on your network(not the default VLAN1)

if your using the default VLAN then you can connect on Fastethernet 0/24.

I have used trunking between these two ports within VLAN 1. I have cross over at one end and normal CAT 5 at the other. The lights comes on but I cannot establish any connection

Mark,

What do you mean when you 'cross over at one end and normal Cat 5 at the other' ? Are you connecting via more than one physical cable ?

The main things I would check are:

1. Make sure the cable you are using is a tru Ethernet crossover

2. Check that there are no spanning-tree portfast commands set on the Fa0/24 port.

3. It may also be worth forcing the port speed/duplex to 100 F/D on both switches

Thanks.