cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3500XL giga stack question

jason.cortes
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3500xl stack connected by Gigastacks. The first switch and last switch in the stack are connected with the giastack cable as well.

The gigastack interface on the last switch in the stack is Green/Green but the gigastack interface on the first switch is Green/Red and ideas?

I have attached a screen shot to explain it a little better

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have seen similar behavior with gigastacks when you connect them redundantly forming a loop.

I think the behaviour is similar to spanning tree where the blocked gigastack port shows orange.

If you remove any one of the gigastack connections and break the loop, you should see the light coming green

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let's see the

show int g0/1 and g0/2

from both switches.

Also:

show int status | i 0/1|0/2

sh spanning-tree interface gigabitEthernet 0/1

sh spanning-tree interface gigabitEthernet 0/2

See atachment

On the first switch you have:

GigaStack module(0.2) in GBIC slot. link1 is up, link2 is redundant link

On the second switch you have:

GigaStack module(0.2) in GBIC slot. link1 is up, link2 is up

How is the physical connection made ?

Can you paste the

show run int g0/1

output ?

I have seen similar behavior with gigastacks when you connect them redundantly forming a loop.

I think the behaviour is similar to spanning tree where the blocked gigastack port shows orange.

If you remove any one of the gigastack connections and break the loop, you should see the light coming green

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Thats exactally correct but isnt the gigastack config on the 3500xl's supposed to support redundant loop configs??

Table 1-5: Minimum IOS Release for Redundant Loop Configurations

Supported Switch Minimum IOS Release

3500 XL switches

12.0(5)XU (April 2000)

We are running 12.0.5-WC17(ED)

Its cabled with the Gigastack cables

port 2 in the gigastack module is cabled to port1 in the gigastack module on switch 2 g0/1 port 2 in the gigastack module is cabled to port 1 in the gigastack module on switch 3 etc.

when you get to the last switch port 2 in the gigastack module is cabled port 1 in the gigastack module on switch 1

here is the link, look at figure 2

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps872/products_data_sheet09186a00800a1789.html

first switch

show run int g0/1

Building configuration...

Current configuration:

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,1002-1005

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree stack-port

end

last switch

show run int g0/1

Building configuration...

Current configuration:

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree stack-port

end

Thats exactally correct but isnt the gigastack config on the 3500xl's supposed to support redundant loop configs??

Table 1-5: Minimum IOS Release for Redundant Loop Configurations

Supported Switch Minimum IOS Release

3500 XL switches

12.0(5)XU (April 2000)

We are running 12.0.5-WC17(ED)

Anybody?

As stated by Narayan, this is normal behavior in order to avoid spanning-tree loop. Currently, one port is set to redundancy mode. If you unplug the port in green status, the one on red will turn green.

Don't be concerned about it.

Ok Thanks guys I appreciate all the help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: