cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3560s Letting me Down!

newmarket25
Level 1
Level 1

We had a new network installed around march. To save money, we used the catalyst Express 500s. We setup Cisco phones as well. 7 buildings, all connected with fiber. The data was rock solid, no issues at all, but the phones were another matter, very unstable. So we upgraded to 3560s. Now we are having the opposite problem, the phones are rock solid, but the data is not very dependable. In particular, we have two servers that are connected to different swithces, and the users continue to get disconnected from the siwtches. I have tried hard coding the speed and duplex, and replaced NIC cards and cables. Things go great for a week, and then trouble starts building slowly, and then it gets to the point where people are dropped every 10 or 15 minutes.

Could really use some help!

50 Replies 50

Well here's what we did:

Cisco TAC came back and said no problems with the switches. OK. At my Police site, we split the users and server from the network onto a stand alone cisco switch. So they can't surf the net, but we will see if the server drops them on this switch. No phones, just PCs and the server and some printers.

Tuesday was quiet, so I ran around and wrote down what computers were on and what ones were off, and what devices were where, etc. So when Accounting started having fits, I called three users whos PCs were off yesterday, and one was on. I had them shut it off,and Accounting did not crash at all. Which raises the question:

Did the issue get resolved (if it is resloved) by splitting police server from the rest of the network (i.e. there is some problem with PD and Accounting and assoictaed network hardware getting along), or is there something with the one PC I shut off that is messing up my network. Oddly enough, yesterday the phone that this PC is connected to, was in a hung state, (it's a 7940), and someone had pressed the Directories button, and it was displaying directories, but totally non-responsive. You could not get out of that screen. I had to reset the phone.

I ran a virus and spyware check on this PC and it came back clean. I will try a test of turning the PC back on, and see what becomes of the network. We have had times where for a week, everything was fine, so I find it hard to believe that this PC was shut off for a week. (and there were no errors on the port that this phone/pc was on).

Hi,

If there is a Broadcast storm in the network, things would be pretty much like what you have been facing.

One more thing, when you actually facing connection disruptions could you please see the LEDs on the switch, if its a broadcast storm, all the LEDs would be glowing rather than the usual flickering.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

But would I see an unusual number of broadcasts on a server port? I agree with you, taht I think it is something like that, or a flaky NIC or cable creating broadcast storms by disconnecting and reconnecting constantly. I guess like someone aid, bootup ethereal and start monitoring. For now, my network is peaceful, and I am superhappy, and all you folks here who offered ideas and suggestions are the absolute best!!!Thanks much!

Is that mean there is no more problem ? It is great if it is. However, if there is any abnormal situation, please feel free to advise. This case is quite interesting for us to share abd gain the knowledge.

Hope you happy w/ your network now.

Well, time will tell. Some people told me "switchport mode host" for the servers, and that was great, for about a week, then we went right back into the same issues.

But I think this is going to help. It must, since I am going on vacation for a week without my cell phone, so I must have some conifdence! I will keep everyone posted.

Hi NewMArket25,

We are very happy to know that things are up and running.

However I have always used this thumb-rule, if you can't see anything with wrong with the Debugs or Show commands and if its wrt traffic, its surely an Application issue.

Last time we had a very annoying experience with Oracle 8 Server connecting across PIX with connection drops and we did try everything, finally we found that some tweaking was required whenever we connect Oracle across PIX.

Anyways, we would be eagerly waiting from yourside regarding the Network News!

Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: