cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 SERIES SUPERVISOR ENGINE II-PLUS

sfrisby
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Despite the fact that Cisco does not support enhanced routing protocol features on the 4500 SUP II + We have noticed that EIGRP and OSPF are configurable on the 4500 w/ SUPII+.

The switch is capable of supporting RIP V2 and has Hardware-based IP Cisco Express Forwarding routing at 48 mpps it also has about 256 mb Dram by default

It would seem to me that running EIGRP or OSPF would be entirely possible without any problems - permitting available resources.

Is anyone running EIGRP or OSPF on the SUP2+ in production or has anyone tested this ?

Any feedback is appreciated.

2 Replies 2

paupot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The ability to run properly with a dynamic routing problem depends on the structure of the network. If you run a large amount of discontiguous networks, the need for large routing tables is obvious. By deploying summarization and stubs, this can be limited.

What IOS are you planning to deploy on this sup? Could you elaborate on what you mean with 'does not support enhanced routing protocol features'?

hth

paul

Cisco does not support enhanced protocols like eigrp,ospf,bgp on the SupII plus . I have played with it in the lab and all these protocols do indeed work on it even though it is not supported , even bgp worked ok between peers though I did not run a lot of traffic between the two . In essence if you are adventurious and try and have a problem cisco won't help you . If need enhanced you are better off getting one of the more expensive supervisors that are technically supported for these functions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: