Views
Helpful
Replies

4507 ARP problem after upgrading to 12.2(25)EW

Seth Bjorn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My problem after upgrading my 4507 to the lastest software, is that the switch itself is having problems arping other directly connected switches. However, my PIX and VPN boxes do ARP to it, as well as a PC.

Example: my 3550 and 4006 won't communicate with the 4507. They get an arp for the 4507, but the 4507 has incomplete for them. However, it does get an arp for PCs, PIXes, VPN Concentrators, and my old 3500xl switches.

Is this a bug?

4 Replies 4

Seth Bjorn
Level 1
Level 1

*bump*

Any ideas?

What software did you upgrade to? On the 4507, examine the configuration of the links to the switches that it cannot have a valid arp entry for, to insure that nothing changed during the upgrade.

Let me know what you find.

Found out that the mac address for the switch in question, was appearing in the mac-address-table on another port. It is totally impossible for that to happen though, because of the way our switches are connected.

Anyways, nuking the offending 3com switch cleared up the issue.

It's weird though, because that 3com switch was hooked up for months before the software upgrade, then upgrade the Cisco and poof major problem. :(

dlavoie
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar problem.

Since 2 week my 4507 have a problem. She communicate well with the gbic on the engine with other switch but all switch in the module 3: 24 10/100BaseTX (FX-MT) WS-X4124-FX-MT don't communicate with 5 switch 2950 during the trouble. No transmit bpdu in a debug for all the port of the 4507 switch, no arp resolution to reach the 2950, no mac-adresse-table for all port on module 3 and a message in the show log : STP no free chunk available ???

Any all action can't restart the communication in the boot side(2950 or 4507, shut, no shut, reboot 2950). When i reboot the switch(4507) all work fine.

After this trouble i downgrade the ISO 12.2.25(ew) to 12.2.18(ew3) to try if the trouble is a IOS trouble. I need your help to confirm if it's a IOS bug or if i have a trouble with my unique module 3. I have not any other module in the chassis. Just 2 engine 4013+ and the 24 ports fibre module.

I go in production with this switch this friday and i will appreciate if i can go safety in production with this IOS and this fiber 100 fx module.

Eric Pageau

Quebec, Canada

eric.pageau@devicom.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: