cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507-Assigning VLANs

jstadter
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Gigabit interfaces on my 4507 that need to be routed (no switchport) to the same subnet. Someone suggested creating a VLAN and adding the two interfaces to it. But the documentation states that "If the interface is configured as a Layer 3 interface(the 'no switchport' command is configured), it cannot be assigned to a VLAN." Does this mean what I want to do can't be done, or that the interfaces have to be in switchport mode before they can be added to the VLAN and then put into 'no switchport' mode after that?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

pedroquiroga
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As far as I know, you only can have one layer 3 interface in one subnet (You have one MSFC). I think the idea is tho configure this 2 ports on the same vlan (like switchport) and create one vlan interface for the subnet.

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct.. You can either make a port a routed port or a switched port and cannot have both.

jeff.paulson
Level 1
Level 1

I did this on a 6509/sup2/msfc2s to provide redundancy on the uplinks. All four interfaces were in the same VLAN (switchpport mode), but the VLAN itself was a layer 3. That way, my default gateway was always the same, but STP took over if one of the interfaces failed. Good luck!