cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 Native IOS Interface L3-> L2 Conversion

kkalaycioglu
Level 4
Level 4

Suppose a native IOS 6500 configured with layer3 (no switchport) ports and subinterfaces (under subif: encapsulation dot1Q 40 and IP address configurede.g.) connected to access switches. I want to change this design and create vlan 40 on 6500, change the port connected to the access switch to L2 (switchport, trunk) and create layer 3 interface on the MSFC as "interface vlan 40". I changed the layer 3 interface to l2 issuing "switchport", configured it as trunk with allowed vlans and when it comes to create vlan 40 on the 6500 things crashed:

Feb 2 00:45:58 Turkey: %PM-SP-4-EXT_VLAN_INUSE: VLAN 40 currently in use by GigabitEthernet13/7.1

Feb 2 00:45:58 Turkey: %SW_VLAN-SP-4-VLAN_CREATE_FAIL: Failed to create VLANs 40: VLAN(s) not available in Port Manager

At this moment there's no more subif as gi13/7.1 (can't see in sh ip int br etc.) but I can not create vlan 40. What may be the problem?

Best regards.

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Is it that you just got the above syslog messages, or did the 6500 crash with traceback ? Probably the sub interface is still in memory so you might want to try rebooting the 6509 and try creating vlan 40 once again.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

No crash, these are syslog messages and I think the same way you do. There's something left in the memory about subif - vlan config. But I want to know if there's a workaround without reloading the switch.

Regards.

Subinterfaces are not truly removed until you remove them from the config and then reboot which cleans everything out . You would think they could develope the code so this wasn't a requirement . Any reason why you just can't use a different vlan instead of 40 ?

I've solved the issue. Instead of converting L3 interface to L2 using "switchport" command or deleting the subifs using no command if you enter subif conf mode and delete encapsulation command using "no encap dot1q 40" and then issue "switcport" command under physical interface you don't encounter this problem.

Best Regards.