Views
Helpful
Replies

6506E as distribution layer

sridhar ch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning to implement 6506E as distribution layer for our upcoming facility. Each 6506E will have 1*SUP 2T, 1*48 port 1G line card, 24 port GBIC line card for  access layer switch uplinks, 1*8 port 10g line card.  6506E will connect to Nexus 5548 core switches. 

I have around 8 * 4510 switches in Access layer connecting to 6506E via 1G ports. I have 2 nexus 5k switches for my server farm connecting to 6506E via 10G ports. all my user vlans (data and voice) will be configured in distro switch. also my firewalls will be connecting to 6506E switches.

I would like to if 6506E is recommended for distro layer. FYI, i will have 2 * 6506E operating in VSS mode.

Thanks,

Sridhar

3 Replies 3

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 6506E and design is sound and fairly common.

If it is in the budget, you may want to consider 10G uplinks for the access switches too if the 4510s are capable.

Correction. You may also want to look at the 6807-XL switch. It is the next generation Catalyst switch and will probably provide greater longevity. Sorry about that, I've been looking at them myself and simply forgot.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

The 6500 can be a fine device for almost anywhere you use it, including in the distribution role.

As Chrishussey mentions, you should probably look at the 6807, the "replacement" for the 6500.  (You might also consider the 6840 and 6880.)

You mention planning on using a 8 port 10g card?  If a 6708, I recall it won't work with a sup2t because it needs a newer DFC and the 6708's DFC cannot be replaced.

Do insure your line cards will work with the sup2t especially in a VSS setup.  BTW, if your access layer is 4510s, perhaps you should consider a routed edge.

PS:

Depending on you bandwidth needs, a 4500 or 4500-X might also be considered for distribution role L3 switch too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: