cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 EOL

chuckdock1
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 6509 and a 6509-E side by side, in an HSRP configuration. The none E is getting replaced but I don't know if we should go with a Nexus or just another 6509-E.

Will a Nexus play nice with a 6509-E? HSRP to it ok? We do have some dhcp scopes on them currently but I hear the Nexus doesn't do that.

The other issue is that I don't know anything about the Nexus as far as configuring it. I'm fine with IOS though.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The none E is getting replaced but I don't know if we should go with a Nexus or just another 6509-E.

The rule-of-thumb is simple:  Use Nexus for servers.  

Now if you're talking about 6500 replacement and you're going to connect PC, printers, VoIP, etc then the best candidate is the 6807-X/6880-X with 6800IA switch.  With this solution you can squeeze your access, distribution and core network down to a single logical switch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The none E is getting replaced but I don't know if we should go with a Nexus or just another 6509-E.

The rule-of-thumb is simple:  Use Nexus for servers.  

Now if you're talking about 6500 replacement and you're going to connect PC, printers, VoIP, etc then the best candidate is the 6807-X/6880-X with 6800IA switch.  With this solution you can squeeze your access, distribution and core network down to a single logical switch.

Thanks for the reply Leo. I do mostly run servers off my core 6509 currently but the 68xx switches sound just like what I need. I assume they play well with my 6509-E as far as a HSRP partner but will research that. I was hoping to reuse the blades in my current 6509 in the new switch though, and I'm guessing they wont work in the 68xx but will need to research that as well.

I was hoping to reuse the blades in my current 6509 in the new switch though, and I'm guessing they wont work in the 68xx but will need to research that as well.

Depends on the DFC/PFC version of the line cards on your current chassis.  The 6807-X/6880-X supports only the Sup2T and Sup2T only supports DFC4/PFC4.  

HSRP partner but will research that. 

Some line cards for the 6500, such as the VS-SUP720 and Sup2T, supports VSS.  I recommend you research on this too.  If done right, VSS can minimize your HSRP instances.