cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 SNMP Setup for Use with CiscoWorks 2000

NPT_2
Level 2
Level 2

I am setting up CiscoWorks 200 LMS and have got the programs and updates installed. I am trying to connect to my seed device, a 6509 switch with a msfc1 and am not having much luck. I can connect to the msfc once I set the snmp communities but for I cannot see the actual 6509 switch interface. I can ping the SC0 interface from the Ciscoworks server and have set my community strings to match on both the switch and in Cisco Works, but whenever I run an autodiscovery I just get device type unknown, state unreachable. I think I just may be missing something in my snmp config.

Snmp config:

set snmp community read-only publicstring

set snmp community read-write privatestring

set snmp community read-write-all secretstring

set snmp rmon enable

set snmp trap enable all

set snmp trap xx.xx.x.x1 read-write-all port 162 owner CLI index 1

set snmp trap xx.xx.x.x2 read-write-all port 162 owner CLI index 2

What am I missing here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just another thought. There is an ip permit list

set ip permit enable snmp

set ip permit

Do a 'show config all' to check to see if snmp is permitted or not, and if the correct subnet is added.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

CKBudrodeen
Level 1
Level 1

I can see nothing wrong with your config. Our 6509 snmp config is very similar to yours.

Cisco Works 2000 RME manages our device with no problem. I'm not sure what LMS is.

set snmp community read-only

set snmp community read-write

set snmp community read-write-all

set snmp rmon disable

set snmp rmonmemory 85

set snmp trap enable module

set snmp trap enable chassis

set snmp trap disable bridge

set snmp trap enable vtp

set snmp trap enable auth

set snmp trap enable ippermit

set snmp trap disable vmps

set snmp trap enable entity

set snmp trap enable config

set snmp trap enable stpx

set snmp trap enable syslog

set snmp trap disable system

set snmp trap public port 162 owner index index 4

Cisco publish a list of "certified" devices for Cisco Works 2000, but I would have thought that the 6500 series would be on this list.

There are some advanced troubleshooting features on Cisco Works, that allow you to view the results of polls by various protocols.

Hope this helps your troubleshooting.

Regards

Just another thought. There is an ip permit list

set ip permit enable snmp

set ip permit

Do a 'show config all' to check to see if snmp is permitted or not, and if the correct subnet is added.

Thanks for the access list suggestion, I just needed to add "set ip permit snmp" and my ciscoworks server now is starting to discover our network via the 6509. Any idea how long this should take, our CiscoWorks server is now running at 100% cpu on both 3.06 Ghz Xeon Processors for the last hour or 2.

If you're discovering the whole network, then it can take a while (that is an incredible load!).

One of our AS5400s can take around an hour.

All the best with it.

Regards.

I've problem with 6506's 48-port 10/100 Inline Power, RJ-45 , not one, all of them. Does CW 6.1 supports this module?

I can't configure it like our 3550's from CW. Any suggestions?

The 6500's are very different to the 3550s.

Is Cisco Works recognising your 6506 at all?

I'm noticing this issue too, except it is for a 10/100/1000 PWR module in our 6509, as well as an IDSM2. Cisco works just says unrecognized module for both of those slots.

Clarification: Ciscoworks says it is an unsupported module not unrecognized

Devices must be "certified" to operate on Cisco Works.

My best guess is that these modules post-date your version of Cisco Works.

You might be able to obtain a patch, or gain instructions on how to update the certified list.

I haven't had to do this before, and a quick search of the CCO didn't help. Opening a TAC case would be the best way of going about finding out the best way to do this.

Regards,

In the past, with the movement to 1760's rather than 1750's and 2950's rather than 2900's, the only way we could get the libraries updated in CW2k was through a software upgrade which is typically $'s. One place to check is the scrolling window in the corner of the screen when you login. It may list updates that are available for you.

good luck though, perhaps they've changed that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco