cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Trunk

KeithN123
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to set up a channel group of say, 4 ports and split them over two separate 6500's ? I have an etherchannel consisting of 4 gigabit interfaces on a stack of 3750's, which I would like to split between the 6500's. My feeling is that this is would have to be 2 separate trunks on the 6500's.

7 Replies 7

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Keith,

I think you can have it as the channel-group number is local to the switch (I am not sure though as havnot tried practically). So you can have 4 ports bundeled together on 3750 and have the ports split on 2 diff 6500's and setting them as trunk. I would suggest to try this in lab and see the behaviour and then set it up on the 3750's. You can always go to my second point listed below.

You can also set it up using 2 channel groups on 3750 and the corrosponding channel groups on the 65000'.

I.e lets say Channel-group 1 connects 3750 and 6500A and channel-group 2 connects 3750 and 6500B.

HTH,

-amit singh

Hi Keith,

You have to configure 2 different port channels on your 3750 switches for 2 different cat6k switches.

Single 4 port etherchannel on 3750 will not work for 2 port on one cat6k and 2 ports on anoter cat6k as multichassis etherchannel is not yet supported.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur

Many thanks. I think this sounds like the answer. I was hoping I could have configured it a as single port channel. I know for a fact it would work over two separate blades in the same 6500 but not over different switches.

regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

You got it!!!

Regards,

Ankur

thanks Amit

your second point is the way I imagine it would have to work. In actual fact, I have a stack of 4 3750's, with 1 G port off each of the switches configured as a channel group. On the 3750's this works fine. I intend to run 2 channels to each 6500 but I didn't know if it would see it as a single port channel. Even if I made the channel group ID the same on each switch, i don't think they would have knowledge of each other.

regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

POrt channel id is local to the switch and does not matter but you any how have to configure 2 different port channels on 3750 one for each cat6k.

Regards,

Ankur

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Keith,

As in my prevous post and also pointed out by Ankur, you can also use the 1st solution as Channel-id is local to the switch so it should not matter and I think it will definately work.

If you dont have a lab setup where you cannot try it and you dont want to risk it on live N/W, then the easiest way to set it up is using the solution 2.

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: