cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7600+RSP 720-3CXL and 6500 Gbit ethernet modules (WS-X6748-***) compatible?

netone.cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We are planning the replacement of a 7206 with a 7603-S, 7604 or 7606-S with RSP 720-3CXL to support full internet routing. The problem is RSP720 comes with only 2 x SFP and we need more L3 interfaces to terminate on the router.

Can the above configuration (7600 with RSP720-3CXL) work with WS-X6748-** line cards?

The "relevant interfaces and modules" link for the 7600:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps368/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html does not list these as options.

If these are compatible, whats really the difference between a 6500 linecard and a SIP+SPA gbit configuration? (besides price)

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mario

They are listed under the Ethernet part of the table -

Cisco 7600 Series / Catalyst 6500 Series 10/100 & 10/100/1000 Ethernet Interface Modules10/100 & 10/100/1000Data Sheet

still worth checking the release notes to check your supervisor/IOS supports them.

As for difference, well the 67xx cards are purely ethernet, they don't support any other encapsulation whereas the SIP, from a quick check supports many encapsulations, although not ethernet.

I'm not that familiar with the SPAs but for example on the 67xx cards you cannot configure shaping which may be an issue for you. I don't know whether the SPAs permit shaping or not. Obviously you get a lot more port density using 67xx cards.

Only thing i can suggest is going through datasheets to see the difference.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mario

They are listed under the Ethernet part of the table -

Cisco 7600 Series / Catalyst 6500 Series 10/100 & 10/100/1000 Ethernet Interface Modules10/100 & 10/100/1000Data Sheet

still worth checking the release notes to check your supervisor/IOS supports them.

As for difference, well the 67xx cards are purely ethernet, they don't support any other encapsulation whereas the SIP, from a quick check supports many encapsulations, although not ethernet.

I'm not that familiar with the SPAs but for example on the 67xx cards you cannot configure shaping which may be an issue for you. I don't know whether the SPAs permit shaping or not. Obviously you get a lot more port density using 67xx cards.

Only thing i can suggest is going through datasheets to see the difference.

Jon

Hi John,

Thanks very much. Cant believe I missed that.

About the module vs. SPA. there are SPA's from 2 to 10 port gbit ethernet available. You are right, I will take a better look into their datasheets for comparison. Maybe then I will understand why SPA is more expensive than line cards. Any doubts I will open a new discussion.

Thanks once again

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: