cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A port for a "toaster" is err-disabled by bpduguard, do I need to remove spanning-tree portfast?

njackson40416
Level 1
Level 1

We have a "toaster" we use to store 5 notebooks to receive updates while not in use. We have port security configured for the port, and spanning-tree portfast is enabled.

We are constantly getting an err-disabled on the port with the reason being bpduguard.

Spanning-tree portfast is the only thing I can think of that needs to change.

Do i need to remove it from that port, and if so why?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

First thing I would try is to reconfigure the "toaster" to not use Spanning-Tree. In this scenario it should be considered an end-host and that shouldn't run STP.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

handoko wiyanto
Level 3
Level 3

hi, i have a silly question. what is toaster that you mention anyway?

regards,

It's a hub in my opinion, toaster is the term they use around the office, so I guess I just picked it up thinking it was an industry norm.

It's a hub in my opinion

Couldn't be a hub.  Hubs are, generally, Layer 1 while Spanning-Tree is Layer 2.  

You could try to disable spanning-tree on that port and remove BPDU Guard (all in that order).

First thing I would try is to reconfigure the "toaster" to not use Spanning-Tree. In this scenario it should be considered an end-host and that shouldn't run STP.

Hey everyone, the issue was resolved by removing spanning tree portfast from the interface.

We didn't need to remove BPDU Guard however.

Thanks everyone for the input!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: