cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

access-list, class-map, policy-map naming question

pingduck
Level 1
Level 1

Is it a bad form to name access-list, class-map, policy-map all the same or it is encouraged?

Similarly, there are several crypto related configs like authorization policy, authentication policy, keyring, etc that could also share the same name.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't consider it bad form, in fact, if they are exclusively related (i.e. only used together), I believe it especially helps to clarify such a relationship. If the relationship is non-exclusive, you might want to keep just functional names.

Meheretab's suggestion is also good, although if followed I would recommend what he is doing be done as suffixes. This so, for sorting purposes, you usually want logically related elements to sort together and the suffix indicates the kind of element.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

I personally prefer to add additional identifiers to easily identify access-list vs Class-map vs Policy-map. Example, ip access-list extended ACL-BLOCK-ICMP, class-map CM-BLOCK-ICMP, and policy-map PM-BLOCK-ICMP.

I use similar style for crypto related configurations.

HTH,
Meheretab
HTH,
Meheretab

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I wouldn't consider it bad form, in fact, if they are exclusively related (i.e. only used together), I believe it especially helps to clarify such a relationship. If the relationship is non-exclusive, you might want to keep just functional names.

Meheretab's suggestion is also good, although if followed I would recommend what he is doing be done as suffixes. This so, for sorting purposes, you usually want logically related elements to sort together and the suffix indicates the kind of element.

Thank you for helping with his question. We appreciate it.

I hope you and your love ones are safe and healthy
Monica Lluis
Community Manager Lead

Monica Lluis
Level 9
Level 9

pingduck, If you got your question answer, don't forget to mark it as "Accepted Solution" This helps all community members to find useful answers.

Thank you!

I hope you and your love ones are safe and healthy
Monica Lluis
Community Manager Lead