Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Switch Console via Putty/SSH from different subnet

Sophia1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I set up a network consisting of two subnets A and B, which are connected via a router. For now, I have achieved to ping all devices (including two CISCO switches) of subnet B from a PC in subnet A. 

But I cannot access the console line of the switches in subnet B via Putty/ssh from the PC in subnet A.

I made sure that the IP Adress of the PC in subnet A is included in the access list protecting the vty of the switches. I have also tried to access the console line of the switches from a pc in network B, which worked well.

Do you have any suggesstions or explanations why I cannot make a connection from my PC in subnet A to the console line of the Cisco switches in subnet B?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Thank you for trying to help, but I have already fixed the issue. I was trying to Access the Switch via ssh using Putty. The Problem was solved by disconnecting my PC from the Internet Connection.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The title of this post indicates that it is dealing with the console access. But the body of the post seems to be talking about SSH access. Can you clarify whethr it is console or SSH (or both)? Can you post the output of the command show ip ssh

It would also be helpful if you would post the config.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Thank you for trying to help, but I have already fixed the issue. I was trying to Access the Switch via ssh using Putty. The Problem was solved by disconnecting my PC from the Internet Connection.

Thank you for posting back to the forum to tell us that the problem is solved. Reading again the original post shows that the PC had two network cards. So it appears that the default route on the PC, used to access resources that are not locally connected, was using the other card. Disconnecting that other card allows the PC to use the remaining card for its default route, allowing you to use putty to access the switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: