cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding 2950-SI Switch to Rapid PVST Network

martin_tsang
Level 1
Level 1

If a 2950-SI switch is added to a network running Rapid PVST, will the whole network become 802.1D , or will only a small portion of the new network be slow.

I read that the whole network segment will revert back to 802.1D. Is the term 'segment' in this case, the region between the two Ei and the Si switch? Or is it the whole VLAN?

Attached is a diagram of what I'm asking. Thanks very much for any help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

RSTP is supported in the SI version in the latest IOS.

Andy

View solution in original post

Because there are still limitations with the SI. No extended VLAN's, QoS limited to trusting layer-2 CoS; no classification or policing and no Layer-3 QoS support.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_bulletin09186a00800b3089.html

I think the lack of classification/policing and Layer-3 QoS is a bit limiting factor in this platform since the access layer is where you generally apply your policers. It's EoL now anyway and it's replacement has the same QoS feature set as the 3560/3750.

HTH

Andy

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

RSTP is supported in the SI version in the latest IOS.

Andy

In that case, why would anyone still buy the much more expensive 2950-EI ? So the new 2950-SI supports Rapid-PVST?

Because there are still limitations with the SI. No extended VLAN's, QoS limited to trusting layer-2 CoS; no classification or policing and no Layer-3 QoS support.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_bulletin09186a00800b3089.html

I think the lack of classification/policing and Layer-3 QoS is a bit limiting factor in this platform since the access layer is where you generally apply your policers. It's EoL now anyway and it's replacement has the same QoS feature set as the 3560/3750.

HTH

Andy

Hmm, the 2950-SI does indeed do Rapid PVST...

Thanks Heaps !!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco