Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL LAB

bbriggs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to build an ADSL lab. I have attached my planned ADSL config for the remote\client router. My aim is to use either GNS3 or VIRL.

Is there a way to create a genuine ADSL network using simulated hardware or is an ADSL line from a Provider required?

8 Replies 8

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You could make use of Cisco routers with ATM interfaces and an ATM switch for the ISP/transport part. I've done this some year ago and it worked with no problems. See here an example.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Thanks,

I'm trying to simulate a "standard" ADSL configuration based on a Cisco 927, this will be my live environment.

The connection to the ISP will be ATM and that is what I'm trying to simulate i.e a single router with a direct ADSl connection to the ISP and ethernet on its LAN side.

Thanks

Quentin Gabrel
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,

I've found this exercise for GNS3 : https://gns3vault.com/hdlc-ppp/ppp-over-ethernet-pppoe

You don't need an xDSL line from ISP.

Is that okay for you ?

Thanks,

Interesting however i'm trying to replicate a live Prod solution which will have an ATM interface on the client router.

Cheers

THanks for that.
My problem however is that in real-life, I will be using an ADSL line.
I want to configure the ADSL, then run a VPN over it.
I know how to configure VPNs but haven't done it over a Cisco router with an ADSL.
THanks

Hi,

Here's an example of that.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

Thanks for that Cristian,

However I get an error when I click on it,

Forbidden

An error occurred. Please contact your System Administrator.

Hi Cristian,

I have now managed to get into that document.

That document however outlines how to configure an ADSL router to connect to an ISP, I'm trying to simulate the termination\connection of the ADSL line into an ISP.

I suppose you could say that I am trying to achieve two things,

1) configure the two devices connected to an ADSL line.

2) set-up one as a remote ADSL client route, and the second as the ISP\Server ADSL router.

(I am using GNS3 and specifically the ATM switch built into it.

Thanks,

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: