Views
Helpful
Replies

advantage of IP networks over frame relay networks

s.m
Level 1
Level 1

Appreciation in advance.....

Kindly ,technically enlighten me as to what might be the posiible advantages and points which make TCP/IP networks advantageous and prefferable over

Frame-relay neworks.

Do ERP applications run better over frame-relay or anything related to ERP that necessitates use of frame-relay.

Thanks

SM

3 Replies 3

ejgonzalesiii
Level 1
Level 1

To answer your question, you can not compare the two protocols. TCP/IP is a layer 3 protocol and Frame-relay is a layer 2 protocol. What this means is that you can run TCP/IP over Frame-relay or even IPX/SPX for that matter. You can't compare apples to oranges. You could discuss the advantages of using IP versus IPX or you could also discuss the advantages of using Frame-relay versus ATM. I hope this helps.

-Henry

Thanks a lot henry ,

I guess there might have been a communication gap with what i wrote.

I am aware of the differences in the layers of operation of the two protocols and other complexities involved , but some guys from PWC maintaining ERP at one of my clients premises have advised or rather incorporated this notion in their minds that ERP application`s reliability is better off on frame-relay than on an ip network , which i mentioned earlier.

Seeking clarification , my clients have asked me to either justify against their outsourcing people who are maintainng ERP and who say that the application performs or rather is supposed to function well over a frame-relay network .

So its actually this very thing that i hope to seek an explanation for.

Best Regards.....

Shekhar

yes...this shows how and where you stand in your knowledge. you client is also somewhere near better than you as he dint post his query in this site and used you to post this. its so sad of you that you dont clearly understand the difference between layer 3 and layer 2 protocols.too sad..!!

RK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: