cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any issues using Catalyst 4006 as an access layer device?

rlortiz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that plans to use a Catalyst 4006 with supervisor engine II as an access layer device. I believe it is usually used as distribution layer device. I need to know if it is capable of being a small to medium server farm. Actually, it could be a high server farm at some point.

Any thoughts and feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rich

5 Replies 5

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Rich,

As you mentioned it might be a bit overkill for the customer requirements but it will be more than capable of Access layer functions in your customer's network.

Hope this helps,

Don

Don,

Yes, it helps.

Thanks,

Rich

As an access layer switch without routing capability the Cat4006 is quite an overkill. If you're planning to add routing capability internally (via a routing module), you'll have to be careful and make sure that your customer does not use VLAN1 for normal traffic routing. That is don't put enterprise traffic on VLAN1. The routing module on the Cat4006 carry out process switching (via software) for VLAN1 traffic. I made this VLAN1 to route for Comm devices only and have enterprise traffic on other VLANs. Take note that the Cat4006 routing module carry out hardware switching for any VLANs other than VLAN1.

I can' find any documentation that states that VLAN1 traffic is process switched. Do you have a good link on this?

Thanks,

John Singer

I use 4006s as a standard minimum Access switch. Most have 3 or 4 blades heavily populated for users. I typically implement VLAN prunning, HSRP via Gbics, Multicasting etc. with no CPU / memory issues. I do not currently use Routing modules in 4006s, only due to my network designs. It is not an overkill depending on your network / traffic requirements. It is worth you working out traffic flows and $ per port (including management and maintence costs) complared to your other solutions. If you plan on using two or more per floor or work area, consider staggering cabling between chassis and modules for redundancy.

I also use two 4006s at one site with 4blades each as server farms with no issues - once again without Routing modules.