We are using APIC-EM, and today when we tried to add a new device we saw that it keeped as "unknown" state (see the attached image), we tried to delete and add the device again, also we tried reloading the device but that didn't work, we have SSH / CLI and SNMP management to the device, but we have no full manager (we can not provision any configuration to it).
Any help will be appreciated.
It's been I while since I've used APIC-EM, but when I was using v1.4 whenever process entities (projects, devices, files, etc) ended up in strange states and the GUI was unable to process or delete them, using the REST API (even the built-in API explorer) to delete them via UID always fixed the problem.
See this case in point:
Thank you for your suggestion! I want to try this, but I don't know exactly how to do that and in the other post I couldn't see a procedure. Can you be more specific about it? Do you have the steps in order to do this?
If you are new to programming with REST APIs then I recommended the built-in API explorer in APIC-EM. There should be an API button on the top ribbon of the interface on the webGUI once you've logged in.
(the next steps are from distant memory...)
* From the menu on the left click on 'Inventory'
* Scroll down until you find 'pnp-device', there should be some buttons: PUT, POST, GET, DELETE underneath it.
* Click on GET. you will see a form with lots of blank textfields. There is one where you can specify the serial number of the device, or simply just submit the blank form and it will give you a list of all devices. Scroll through the JSON output until you find your device. Record its ID value.
* Still under the pnp-device section, click the DELETE button. A new form will appear, with a textfield where you can enter the device ID from the previous step. Click submit and it should remove the device.
Like I said the above steps are for memory, so buttons and links may be in slightly different locations.
Thank you for your help, deleting the element was our solution, the devices was dicovered again and it works ok now, we didn't delete the element using the API but deleted from GUI and reloading the server before adding it again. Thank you for the time you took in help me with this case.
We're sorry that you're having this issue with APIC-EM (and we know that this is frustrating!).
Shortly we'll be sending you a message regarding your CCO ID. Thus, our team can look into the issue and (hopefully) have a resolution for you as soon as possible.
Once again, our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience. Thank you in advance for your understanding - and patience!
Hello ashherri thank you for your reply!
My CSCO is: CSCO12751266 I will wait for your contact, I need to find a resolution to this as soon as posible, thank you again.
Hi @Diana Rojas
Thanks for opening a discussion on the community.
Cisco's APIC-EM TAc team will follow up this case directly with you
I send you positive and energetic greetings to Argentina