Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Architecture small business

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking for a refunt of a network.

I have some questions, the network has 3 building which are interconnected with black fiber. For my topology i'm thinking about a two tier topology. Whith distribution switch in each site and access switch. The problem is we have only one switch distribution by site, there is no redundance with another distribution switchs.. that is not really cool.

My question why we could not use only one big switch by site and not one distribution and multiple access switch  ? I know it's a SPOF .. but if we have multiple switch the statistic of a failure is not higher ? On the topology we have one router ISP after that one Firewall and after the network.

Is it better to use  only one switch distribution with a star network of access switch by site or a single big switch ? For me the distribution topolgy even if there is one distribution switch is better because if one switch access fail the other could work. But i can't get used the idea if i had only one switch the potential of failure is lower.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yes, you can consolidate the network - easy to manage.

(but understand the risk since you do not have any redundant path - as you mentioned not possible - so that is risk)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question why we could not use only one big switch by site and not one distribution and multiple access switch  ? I know it's a SPOF .. but if we have multiple switch the statistic of a failure is not higher ? On the topology we have one router ISP after that one Firewall and after the network.

Some notes for the above question and answer.

1. that is durable

2. if you are able to get a budget for Modular with dual redundancy, in terms of Sup / PSU and Dual Feed Power pully or UPS.

3. Make sure Access - Side end Device Cat 5 Limitation, if they are below Cat cable then Modular work for you.

4. If the building has no dual path of Fibre going to the main building, what is the point of having redundacny.

5. If you have a plan to have an alternative path connect mesh network for redundancy - that is feasible?

6. the design based on the business downtime accepted and costing.

BB

2. if you are able to get a budget for Modular with dual redundancy, in terms of Sup / PSU and Dual Feed Power pully or UPS -> There is no really budget for dual redundancy  

3. Make sure Access - Side end Device Cat 5 Limitation, if they are below Cat cable then Modular work for you -> The cat are 5 to 6a

4. If the building has no dual path of Fibre going to the main building, what is the point of having redundacny -> effectively there is only one Fiber

5. If you have a plan to have an alternative path connect mesh network for redundancy - that is feasible? For some site i can use STP with redundance link to the distribution switch but not for all the switch / sites 

6. the design based on the business downtime accepted and costing -> All the 3 sites depends for internet connection of the main site. So effectively we need to have the best configuration with the actual situation 

Do you think it's better to go in my situation to single switch ? there is no real sense to put distribution switch in my case ? 

Thank you for your answer

personally, I do not see any advantage here. how many Access switches per building?

if you can stack with 4 switches - 48x4 is good enough for each building.

BB

There is one the main site 5 switch / the second 3 and the last 5

Regards

all stacks? is this possible to have more Dark Fibre between Building or to Access stack, so you save a lot of costs and have redundancy?

make a small network diagram for yourself to help you and also help you diagnose the issue.

BB

There is no stack actually but star network topology. The switch are not closed physically so we can stack someone but not all in one stack per site. 

I attach the schema

If you looking to improve this for the best.

1. each site adds one more switch (top) - so you have a stack for redundancy.

2. Get another Dark fibre pair if possible - so link wise you got redundancy.

if that is not possible. then we accept the risk for business and move on.

BB

1. each site adds one more switch (top) - so you have a stack for redundancy 

2. Get another Dark fibre pair if possible - so link wise you got redundancy -> Antoher pair is not possible / too expensive

If i buy big switch i could had this topology attached

yes, you can consolidate the network - easy to manage.

(but understand the risk since you do not have any redundant path - as you mentioned not possible - so that is risk)

BB

Thank you for your advices