cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5516-X goes offline but front panel LED's all green

MisterDon
Level 1
Level 1

3 times in the past 8 days our ASA 5516-x has stopped accepting traffic, all front panel LED's are green, the interface port LED's are flashing showing activity but I cannot ping the device on the external or internal interfaces and cannot get any response from either the serial console or dedicated management interface. Power-cyling the unit restores the communication but I don't seem to have logging set up to display any helpful information.

Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot this?

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- After power cycle activate syslogging to a syslog-server and snmp trap logging to a trap receiver. Check if there are any messages received just before 'last breath'. Also have a look at the current software version installed. Make sure it is not too old, if applicable  upgrade to a recent software release.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for your reply, marce1000. I have enabled SNMP logging and set one our the internal Windows servers as a listener. The ASA was purchased new in November 2019 to replace a 3 year old 5516-X unit that suffered the internal timing component failure detailed in Cisco field notice 64228, the OS is 9.8(2) so not right up-to-date but not I think too old either.

The problem hasn't reoccurred for 5 days now, but if it does I will see what additional information I can supply and update this thread. 

An option that you might consider would be to connect a PC/laptop to the console port, and let it run, displaying console log messages. When the problem happens again look at the PC/laptop and see if there were any log messages that would identify the issue.

HTH

Rick