cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5516-X goes offline but front panel LED's all green

MisterDon
Level 1
Level 1

3 times in the past 8 days our ASA 5516-x has stopped accepting traffic, all front panel LED's are green, the interface port LED's are flashing showing activity but I cannot ping the device on the external or internal interfaces and cannot get any response from either the serial console or dedicated management interface. Power-cyling the unit restores the communication but I don't seem to have logging set up to display any helpful information.

Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot this?

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- After power cycle activate syslogging to a syslog-server and snmp trap logging to a trap receiver. Check if there are any messages received just before 'last breath'. Also have a look at the current software version installed. Make sure it is not too old, if applicable  upgrade to a recent software release.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for your reply, marce1000. I have enabled SNMP logging and set one our the internal Windows servers as a listener. The ASA was purchased new in November 2019 to replace a 3 year old 5516-X unit that suffered the internal timing component failure detailed in Cisco field notice 64228, the OS is 9.8(2) so not right up-to-date but not I think too old either.

The problem hasn't reoccurred for 5 days now, but if it does I will see what additional information I can supply and update this thread. 

An option that you might consider would be to connect a PC/laptop to the console port, and let it run, displaying console log messages. When the problem happens again look at the PC/laptop and see if there were any log messages that would identify the issue.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: