Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigning multiple ports/interfaces to a VLAN-Switch-IOS

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to assign ports/Interfaces to VLAN 2 but need to assign the whole blade or many ports on two or three blades to VLAN 2. Switch CAT 4500 running Cisco IOS - I can only do one port/interface at a time:

Switch-4500(config)# interface fastEthernet 0/2

Switch-4500(config-if)# switchport access VLAN 2

vlan Set VLAN when interface is in access mode

So this way, as explained above one port at a time gets assigned to a VLAN. I need to do multiple ports. how can I do this if possible at all.

Thanks,

Masood

6 Replies 6

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Masood,

You can go for interface range command.

Switch-4500(config)# interface range fa0/2 - 20

Check this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_1_19/cmdref/chap2a.htm#wp1040802

HTH

Ankur

Thanks, this is what I wanted.

I am configuring the switch for L2 connectivity and so far no Trunking and No L3, so I guess my question s is:

switchport access vlan #

Switchport mode access

is enough?

Do I have to define a VTP domain as well? all my switches are part of one VLAN only, VLAN 2.

Thanks,

Masood

Hi Masood,

Correct if you do not need anu trunking and layer the config done by you is more then enough

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan #

Now talking about VTP domain it is not required if you do not want to sync your vlan information through your network on all the switches. If you do not configure VTP domian then you need to manually configure vlans on all your switches.

VTP will never take part is assigning the ports to specific vlan it will only sync the vlan throughout the switches in your network. So you need not manually create the vlans in all the switches.

For VTP to work atleast one switch in your network need to be in server mode and rest you can have server as well as in client mode.

Here you go with the link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/12_1_19/config/vtp.htm

HTH

Ankur

Thanks for getting back to me. You know, I have taken over this network just recently and have realized that the company that was taking care of this network had done this way:

1 main subnet (Uers, Servres,WS, ect)- VLAN2

1 Development Subnet - VLAN 3 - still active but not in use

So all of my switches, i.e. two CAT 4006, Two CAT 3560, and one New 4500 (just purchased) all on VLAN 2. the main CAT switch has VLAN 3 information since the DEV subnet connects to it as well.

Now , I am trying to create 4 or 5 functional VLANS for my main network (currently has all my switches and Three Routers in it and VLAN 2).

2 CAT 4006 switch

1 CAT 4500 Switch

2 CAT 3560

1 CAT 3550

2 CAT 2948-G-TX

2 Border or Gateway Routers Cisco 2621

1 gateway Router 2621 (Connects this office to a remote extention to this office using a point to point T1 and at th eother end - Private IP, connects to Internet Via an ISP).

My two border Router - public IP and connects two T1a, one prim and the other one shadow.

I guess my question is:

what would be the best way to create VLAN 2,3,4,5,6

using the above switches and routers and have Intervlan communications through Truncking and management through VTP or else.

I want to create VLANs in such a way that if a user belong to VLAN2 seats at 12 flr and another user belong to this same VLAN 2 seats at 14 floor makes no difference, so independent of users location - how do I do the port assignment on the switches to do this? No resource or network file resource segmentation needed sonce all users wil acess same information.

I really appreciate your sugestions and help.

Regards,

Masood

HI

As per u r requirement i may be wrong but i would like to suggest u to use VTP in u r network as it maintains vlan database consistency.By using it u can maintain a centralize management of vlans.

so if ur using VTP u can create the vlans on VTP server and all the vlans r going to be propagated to all VTP clients.U just need to add the switchports to different vlans on client switches.

Hope this may help.

Thanks

Mahmood

Thanks. One thing? how do I go to my VLANs on other switches to add the switchport to them? I guess, you suggested I add switchport to all my other VLANS, how do I do that? to VLAN Interfaces? or to the ports connecting each Swutch together?

Thx,

Masood