cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Attributes for imported devices

dwgray0422
Level 1
Level 1

When I import devices from HPOV, they are added directly into the RME database, however they only have snmp info, no telnet or tacacs info. Is there a way to identlfy newly imported devices and assign them the appropriate device attributes?

6 Replies 6

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Use the Change Device Attributes feature in RME to update the device credentials accordingly.

that's what I am currently doing, however I have to search the RME database for the newly imported devices manually. With 200+ devices on import this task becomes very tedious. If I could see all new devices, I could change all attributes at once

if you have enabled "device synchronisation" from RME to ANI then they should appear under "Discovery Metrics". there you can double click the number of "newly discoverd devices", a list opens with IP-addres/hostnames of the new devices.

Or you can do a "check device attribute" for all devices under RME - Administration- Inventory. After it completes (which will take some time for all 200 devices) you can see in the list for which devices there are no (or the wrong) credantials stored.

HTH

Martin

Thanks Martin. It looks like that may be what I have to do. If I export the RME database to a CSV file, can I edit it and reimport with all the attributes correct?

-Damon

I never tried this but I think you can get problems when you just export the devices, edit the file and reimport them. I guess, RME will add them all as new devices and will then mark them as aliases.

But perhaps you can use the "Device List Manipulation Service" or the DataPrep.pl script. Look in the online help of your LMS Server for details.

Martin

If you export the database, you can edit the file, and when you reimport them, use the option "Use data from Imported Devices". This will update the devices with any added information or changes that you made. However, if you delete a field, you should enter in the following to indicate that you want it deleted "!{[NOVALUE]}!", otherwise CiscoWorks will leave the field with the old value.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: