cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BAD IP ADDRESS

PIKEYMIKEY
Level 1
Level 1

My DHCP is getting filled with BAD IP ADDRESSES and I am not sure why.

Looking at the VLAN config on the L3 switch the interface has both DHCP helper addresses set.. could this be causing it? how to get around it?

3 Replies 3

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @PIKEYMIKE,

Could you show us the configuration of the DHCP pool and the interfaces related to that pool?

Regards

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

There is nothing wrong with that message. The DHCP server is telling you the BAD Address is already being used on the network.Before your DHCP server assigns an ip address, it checks(via ping) that address is not already being used. If it finds the address is assigns, it marks the address as BAD and does not assign it to a client.

I am assuming you are using two dhcp servers and have two helpers address on your router. You can stop these messages  by configuring  your DHCP servers to assign addresses for half the pool e.g. one server assigns 192.168.1.1 - 128 and the other assigns 192.168.1.129 - 254

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Alan Ng'ethe
Level 3
Level 3

The other thing you could do is to either shorten or lengthen the lease duration for either of the subnets, depending on the usage patterns of the clients. For example, if you have a guest Wi-Fi, it would be helpful to have the DHCP reclaim addresses as soon as possible after clients exit the network.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.