cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

band width loss with power-line adaptors

dadubs
Level 1
Level 1

This is a home networking issue.  I lose a great deal of band width using power line adaptors.  I can provide model numbers to any of the hardware if needed.  I use power line adaptors throughout my home to connect 2 PCs, 2 printers, and a TV (none have wireless) to a hardwired network (the home electrical system).  I used the Google ‘Internet speed test’ running on my primary PC for the numbers.  For testing I ran an ethernet cable from my cable modem/router to my primary PC.  My home – built in 2002 – has phone and coax to some locations, but no ethernet cabling.  Please suggest how to bring full internet speed to my primary PC, but yet provide connectivity to all items on the network.  

cable modem → PC (Mbps)

110.6 dwn   11.4 up

110.4          11.0

cable modem → router → PC

110.6          11.0

109.1          11.0

cable modem → router → hub → PC

78.0            11.2

74.4            11.0

cable modem → router → power line adapter A → power line adaptor B → hub → PC (normal configuration)

18.5            11.0

19.7            11.0

3 Replies 3

Hi,

you can use wireless easily. you can use supported wireless adapters for TV and printers. electric cables will not give full capabilities.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Talking with a work colleague, he stated that power-line adaptors are one of the last networking solutions.  Throughput is terrible.  I found out that my micro form factor Dell OptiPlex has built in Wi-Fi.  I enabled the wireless connection and am getting 100 - 110 Mbps download (much better than the previous 20 Mbps).  My browser lag problem no longer exists.  I still have printers connected with power-line adaptors, but speed is not as critical.

BTW, in-line power injectors probably also have an in-line bridge (i.e. switch), with possibly poor throughput capacity.  A different brand of power injectors might work much better (although, it sounds like you have an effective solution [i.e. wireless] w/o needing all of them).

NB: years ago, we saw a somewhat similar issue with early Cisco VoIP phones.  PCs connected to network, through them, had (very) much reduced throughput.