Views
Helpful
Replies

bandwidth monitoring

sagittarius
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to major performance of an application over WAN. Is there any way i can get the data transfer and Bandwith(Over WAN and LAN) required for a perticular application. One way of doing is to connect two router via back to back serial port and set the clock rate and bandwidth. Currently i dont have 2 router.

Regards

Saggi

2 Replies 2

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

There are a number of network management tools that you could use to measure the link performance. However, I am not sure if you can do that for a specific application. If you are able to figure out something, could you share the same with me.

jgayou
Level 1
Level 1

You can use any kind of patcker sniffer on the LAN interface lets say a Fastethernet port. Put a hub and in there or if you have a switch span a port on that switch and then capture all data and then you can sort by IP addresses and you should be able to break down the traffic that went across the WAN.

To monitor bandwidth down to a 60 second average go to solarwinds.net and look at there performance montior program that comes with the engineers toolkit.

Also you can enable netflow on the router and then to go www.crannogsales.com and download the netflow monitor. You can use this product for 24 hours for free very easy to install on windows