Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth requirement for a Thick client application

Rockk
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team,

I would need to calculate and estimate the bandwidth required for a Thick client application running from a Server.

Is there a way to calculate this.

Can anyone, advise me on this, Please.

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Sure, analyze the application and determine its "typical/average" bandwidth consumption.

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any tools to analyze this from the client machine.

Depends on the client's OS and what's installed on it.

Am using Windows and to check the bandwidth requirement for a Thick client application accessed from server to Client.

@joseph Doherty:
Would something like Iperf be able to test the max throughput or expected bandwidth? I am facing something similar with a multicast video distribution system. I am not sure if this is a 1:1 comparison; however, it should be close right, or would the unicast vs multicast make it inaccurate?

No, something like iperf is used to determine how much available bandwidth is actually available. If might be used if you had an expected bandwidth usage for an application, to then determine when your environment can actually handle that bandwidth before using the application.

Multicast and unicast can be similar, or quite different in their bandwidth demands. Usually, multicast saves on bandwidth usage (assuming there's more than one receiver on the same distribution path).

Sometimes multicast video will provide either a bandwidth usage expectation, actual expected (if video is uncompressed) or an expected average (if video is compressed). The latter's bandwidth usage can be very much impacted by the "nature" of the picture (i.e. how well it's compressed, or not).

@joseph Doherty:
Ok thank you for those suggestions. Back to ‘Rockk’ question, is there a good client based analyzer tool that you know of?

I am running Cacti; however, been looking to Flows to see if I can get detailed reports of end user devices, but It looks like a lot of moving pieces. It might take longer to setup then it is to run and collect the reports for my specific use case.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco