Level 1
Level 1

+---------------+
|                            |             +----------+
|   CISCO2901      +------>+    MicroTik   +--> X.X.X.254
|                            |             +----------+
+---------------+                 X.X.X.253
     X.X.X.1

I have a CPE conected to a Service provider through a router MicroTik. I have IP X.X.X.1, management IP of MicroTik is X.X.X.253. When I do a show ip arp, there is a 3rd IP X.X.X.254 with a mac-address of a cisco device.

Ping to X.X.X.253 is 1 ms

Ping to X.X.X.254 is 12 ms

Traceroute to HQ always takes X.X.X.254, so this is our Gateway.

Question: What is the beeter approach to configure the default route?

a) ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.253

b) ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.254

c) It doesn´t matter

I have configured both and there is a slightly difference when trying to reach HQs IP

2 Replies 2

Eric101
Level 1
Level 1
Are all three devices in the same subnet?
Is there a policy (e.g. traffic shaping, firewall, etc...) being applied by the Mikrotik router?

If they are all in the same subnet and there is no administrative reason why your 2901s traffic should touch the Mikrotik router then your default route should likely point to .254

If I am understanding the post correctly a trace route shows x.x.x.254 as the first hop. In that case I agree that the next hop in your default route should be x.x.x.254. It is possible that both would work. But I believe that you would be better using 254 since it appears to be closer to your router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: