Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP RR design/placement

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I am asking a BGP RR design related question so please have an overview of the topology:

300-410 ENARSI - BGP RR Desing.jpg

1. AS100 RR is R2. And it is also configured with next-hop-self.

2. AS100 RR (R2) is also serving traffic as seen in the topology.

2. There is an AS200 where maybe some more routers but I am connected to one router so it is a transit router(AS) for me.

3. AS500's RR is BGP7 router and it is not serving any traffic for other routers.

4. AS500 routers are neighbors with BGP7 router only. There is no BGP neighborship with any other router.

5. All iBGP update-source is loopback100 and OSPF is used as IGP protocol.

6.  eBGP neighborship is a point to point and there is no loopback update-source.

7. As known path selection is based on the IGP metrics.

8. BGP5 router is configured for AS500 next-hop-self.

9. BGP7 router configuration looks like:

router bgp 500
bgp router-id 10.10.10.7
bgp log-neighbor-changes
network 10.10.10.7 mask 255.255.255.255
neighbor BGP500Group peer-group
neighbor BGP500Group remote-as 500
neighbor BGP500Group update-source Loopback100
neighbor BGP500Group route-reflector-client
neighbor 100.100.10.1 peer-group BGP500Group
neighbor 100.100.10.2 peer-group BGP500Group
neighbor 100.100.10.3 peer-group BGP500Group
neighbor 100.100.10.4 peer-group BGP500Group
neighbor 100.100.10.5 peer-group BGP500Group
neighbor 100.100.10.6 peer-group BGP500Group

looking for your suggestions on RR configuration and placing it in Area 500. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply. After testing in the lab, considering traffic volumes and hardware limits. We decided to configure the BGP route reflector as a centralized router reflector instant of the inline route reflector.   This router is not responsible for any type of traffic too. 

I know the network is not too big but we are considering increasing devices more in the upcoming year.  

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello
Given that topology  it would hard to implement a RR setup without changing any of the physical links for AS500.
The following would be a possible solution if you could rearrange the ibgp peering for AS500

AS100
Cluster1
RR - R2
RC - 1-3-4
non client R5

AS500
Cluster 536
BGP5 RR
BGP3,BGP6 RC
non client R5

Cluster 36
BGP3,BGP6 RR
BGP1,BGP2,BGP4.BGP7 RC

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply. After testing in the lab, considering traffic volumes and hardware limits. We decided to configure the BGP route reflector as a centralized router reflector instant of the inline route reflector.   This router is not responsible for any type of traffic too. 

I know the network is not too big but we are considering increasing devices more in the upcoming year.  

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hello

@Deepak Kumar wrote:

Hi,

For which AS?
Not sure how you would have accomplished it within AS500 with that current design without relocating the physical interconnects and the ibgp peering - Which rtr did you choose for this?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Davood.P
Level 1
Level 1

Hi  Deepak ,

I want to know , how can i hide IBGP address from another AS , I mean when i traceroute 8.8.8.8 i can only see ip public addresses but in my lab i see internal ip address . how does work in real would ?

BGP-Lab.png

Tracing the route to 2.24.0.24
1 5.1.152.152 0 
2 10.1.54.102 1 (hide this ip) 
3 10.1.28.108 1 (hide this ip )
4 10.1.81.121 1 (hide this ip) 
5 1.2.121.24 0