Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast Problem in Network

dsathish
Level 1
Level 1

Hai all,

I have a typical problem in my network, I have a Cisco 805 Router which is connected with 256k Leased Line, my Switch connections are thro 3COM 100MBPS, With this i have 3 hubs connected on my LAN, I am getting Lots of Collisions and Broadcasts results in my router and it makes the NET Speed very slow at times, can any one can solve my problem.

Thanking you,

Sathish.

6 Replies 6

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

easy one is to get rid of the hubs.

how many active ethernet clients are you supporting on the hubs ?

and how many on the 3coms ?

other things that you can look at are the speed setting in your 3com switch going to your hub. or maybe you have some defective nic card in your LAN environment that causing coillision or broadcast issue in your LAN

I had checked all the Network cards and speed of the 3com switch,

The Speed of the 3com switch is setted at 100MBPS, and all the network cards are connected at 100 MBPS only, since all the machines dell Machines it comes with 100 MBPS only. so that is also working fine, can u just tell me the better solution.

I have around 4 Hubs on the network, all the hubs are connected to 3Com Switch only.

While checking the speeds is something you should have done, you should also check the ports the hubs a plugged into on the 3COM switch and make sure the duplex is set to half. I would hard code it if it is set to auto. This could be your problem.

Hope this helps,

Burleyman

I agree with the post regarding having all nodes set to half when operating in a hubbed environment. You cannot run full-duplex because it violates collision detection with a hub and will present network problems including collisions. Plus, if you have all those hubs loaded up with nodes you're going to have a lot of broadcast traffic anyway. Your best bet is to get a managed switch and at least split those hubs out into vlans.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: