cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Burroughs Poll/Select

jolivier
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that has NCR ATM cash machines, the customer is using Burroughs modems hooked up to Motorola vanguard routers using the Poll/select protocol. My question is can get rid of the Motorola routers and substitute a comparable Cisco router? I dont recall anything on the Burroughs poll/select (BPS) protocol in all my travels, but i find it hard to believe that the Cisco platform wont support it as the customer has been told in the past. Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

timstewart
Level 1
Level 1

Is you customer using async BPS or sync? If async, then you may be able to get it work by using async-generic:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/100/bsc_guide1.html

http://cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fibm_c/bcfpart2/bcfstun.htm

Sync BPS is not support in the IOS due to a number of reasons and there are no current plans to support it.

Its synchronus, some of the motorola routers they are using are quite old in hardware terms. they are holding off because of the legacy equipment in use at the branches that have cash machines. I want to get them off the Motorola's and on to Cisco products but this Burroughs Poll/Select is killing me. Is there a way to take the Modems out of the equation? go from a serial interface using HDLC to the ATM's? then its just straight cat5 out of the router out to the ATM.

take a look at doing a GRE tunnel, I made this work for some bysynch atms

Unfortunately, GRE tunnels will not work in this case. BPS does not use the same signalling as HDLC, therefore when the chipset is configured for HDLC it will not know the start stop characters of the frame. Sync BPS is not supported due to the bstun/bsc code not understanding the poll/select sequences. There have been requests in the past to add code to support it but due to technical reasons these requests have been closed. At this point, there is no way to transport sync BPS on a Cisco router.

You have been very helpful, thanks. and thank you too timstewart, i appreciate it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: