cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2950T-48-SI switched to unidirectional traffic on a group of ports

dro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I ran into a problem last night with one of my C2950T-48-SI's. A minute before 11PM, the switch stopped accepting traffic from all ports between 25 and 31, but was still transmitting to them (unidirectional).

Clearing out the configuration of the port and shut/no shut had no effect. I had to move the effected servers to another switch.

The switch shows nothing in the logs, and the port states were all listed as up/up.

All ports were configured identically with the following configuration:

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

spanning-tree bpduguard enable

speed 100

duplex full

no cdp enable

The switch is currently booting a version 12.1(22)EA6 +Crypto image.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Joshua

4 Replies 4

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

May I know what are the devices that you have connected to those 25 - 31 ports. Anyway, try replacing the cables used in between those ports and see. Or, let me know regarding the device connected to these switch ports.

It turns out it was 8 ports, 25 to 32. Each port had a server connected to it, forced to 100mb/full duplex. A mix of HP ProLiants and Dell PowerEdge servers. It can't be cables, because all ports died at exactly the same time.

I haven't been able to reboot the switch yet to see if the ports come back up. The switch still shows the ports as fine, but no devices can transmit data on them. I've tried changing the speed and duplex and disabling/enabling various features on the ports, all to no avail.

This looks related to bug ID CSCdy72718, but it's supposed to be fixed in the version I'm running on this switch.

As far as I know there are hardware controllers for groups of 8 interfaces.

1-8

9-16

17-24

25-32 (!)

33-40

41-48

Maybe should log a 'show tech' and search for keywords like 'faulty' or 'failed' in order to find hardware problems.

I was assuming something related to the controller as well, but I can't find anything in the switch to say that it's been faulty. A show tech didn't give me any clues either.

Is there anyway to force the switch to re-test a group of ports, other than during initial bootup?