cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a 1711 router be updated to IOS 15?

ciscoscottc
Level 1
Level 1

This is my first time posting, if I've posted this to the wrong area please advise me where this should be posted thank you.

I got a Cisco 1711 to learn IOS and work on getting a CCNA.  This is a very old router.  While going through a tutorial it got the part on port security and when it got to the switchport command, that one seems to be missing.

If I go into conf t, then interface fastEthernet 0, I hit s? the options I get are:

routername(config)#interface fastEthernet 0
routername(config-if)#s?
service-policy shutdown snapshot snmp
speed standby

show ip interface brief reports:

FastEthernet0              192.168.1.5     YES NVRAM  up                    up

It looks like this command is missing.  I am running IOS 12.4 and have noticed some other commands (can't recall them) that didn't work like in the tutorial I am watching.

Can I upgrade this router to IOS 15?  If not, can someone tell me the newest version of IOS I can upgrade it to, or a resource that will show me what version it can be upgraded to ?  Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Borgenstrand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

as far as I can see on:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/by-feature-technology.jsp

which is Cisco Feature Navigator, I cannot see that Cisco 1711 can use IOS 15. I have seen before that some routers do not have the speed command. It could just be that the fastethernet port is 100Mbit/s as standard.

In regard of the the speed command, can you try the same underneath a serial interface?

I think the newest IOS for Cisco 1711 is 12.4T.

Speed command?  This is about the switchport command for port security.

Oh sorry, I should have reread that :)

Depending on what router it is, some cannot handle Switch commands because it does not have a switch-module in the router. 

If you have the exact image it uses(should be in show version command), then you can go out on Cisco Feature Navigator and see if it supports that command.

That should answer my questions, thanks.

You are welcome.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: