cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can a 4908G-L3 device support 100Mbps fibre connectivity

m.tapping
Level 1
Level 1

We were planning to implement Gigabit Ethernet over our fibre infrastructure using 4908G-L3 hardware. Due to distance limitations we may be forced to drop to FastEthernet and I'd like to know whether the hardware can still support this? If not what is the best alterniatve product?

3 Replies 3

raarons
Level 1
Level 1

What distance limitations? The 4908G-L3 supports 1000BaseZX which can be used for distances up to 100km, depending on plant losses.

The 4908G-L3 is a gigabit-only device. It cannot connect to fast ethernet devices. It is effectively an eight-port gigabit router and is severely lacking in many of the facilities to be found on other Catalyst switches. It is also more expensive, has fewer ports and less capacity than the 3550-12G, which beats it hands-down on supportability and features.

Hope this helps.

We believed (until verified) that the fibre cable was single-mode but know it now to be multi-mode. I understand that 1000BaseZX only works over single-mode fibre, hence our dilema.

Our options seem to be a) install new single-mode fibre - too costly b) run links at FastEthernet speed. The product overview for 4908G-L3 suggests it is an 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch, following link refers;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008007f502.html

Is the 3550-12G a better option?

I can't see how they can state that! Unless someone cares to prove me wrong, the 4908G-L3 only supports fibre GBICs, and these only support full gigabit links.

In my view, the 3550-12G is not only a better, but also a cheaper and more flexible, solution. The 2 built-in copper ports are truly 10/100/1000 ports and so could be media-converted to 100BaseFX relatively cheaply, if this helps.