cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can CEF and IP PIM multicasting work on the same router?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

In a 3640 router I configured IP multicastt-routing and turned on IP pim sparse-dense and IP CGMP on the interfaces last week. Then I removed all references to multicasting from this router. This week I enaled CEF on the router and them today I added back IP multicast-routing. On the interface I typed 'ip pim sparse-dense' and as soon as I hit enter the router locked up - needing a reboot to get it going again.

Is there a conflict when enabllng both CEF and multicasting?

4 Replies 4

prafuljaded
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

CEF works fine with multicasting according to me.

Check out the IOS support for this

regards,

Praful Jaded

DALE FRANCIS
Level 3
Level 3

CEF and Multicasting most definately do work on same router, for a simple eg. the SUP2/MSFC2 has CEF on by default and can not be turned off, a lot of these devices are used in the investment bank scenario were Multicast aplications are used to deliver trading info.

With CEF enabled, do I need to configure IP multicasting any differently on the router then if not enabled? I'm trying to figure out why the router locked up when I hit enter after configuring IP PIM sparse-dense mode. This lockup didn't occur before I had enabled CEF. Any ideas?

Nope, you should just got ahead and do it, also do remember that putting PIM on an interface does cause a interface reset, if CEF or anything was doing a CPU cycle at that time, it would have the potential to lock the box up... It also depends on the code you are running, if you are running an ED train you will most probably be hitting a bug in IOS.

Does this happen everytime you enable CEF... the workaround might to be to disable CEF, config M/cast then re-enable CEF.. I know from past experience CEF has had it's serious fair share of bugs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: