Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not access server's on public ip's

OliverDarvall
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

We have a core switch with two fibre lines connecting us through two different ISP's to the internet. These ISP's have provided us with a range of public ip's each. We have a few routers on some of these ip's and they are working fine and we can access them externally (telnet and ssh).

I am now busy setting up two servers, one on each ISP with their respective public ip's. I can ping the core switch and the isp gateways from the servers and from the core. I have triple checked that there are no active firewalls and I can see that the http ports are open and accessible (TcpView). But for the life of me I can not access those servers externally. I am now completely stumped. I do suspect though that it is a routing problem through the core.

And herewith the relevant parts from my Core switch's config:

version 12.2
service tcp-keepalives-in
service tcp-keepalives-out
!
hostname SMS-CORE
!
no aaa new-model
clock timezone ZAR 2
no ip source-route
!
mls netflow interface
mls cef error action reset
!
spanning-tree mode pvst
spanning-tree portfast edge default
!
vlan internal allocation policy ascending
!
interface FastEthernet3/25
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 153
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet3/31
 switchport
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet3/35
 switchport
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet3/37
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 20
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet3/47
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 20
 switchport mode access
!
interface FastEthernet3/48
 ip address 192.168.2.2 255.255.255.252
!
interface Vlan1
 no ip address
!
interface Vlan20
 ip address PUBLIC_IP1 255.255.255.240
!
interface Vlan153
 ip address PUBLIC_IP2 255.255.255.248
!
ip classless
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1
!
ip local policy route-map PUBLIC
!
access-list 100 permit ip ISP2_NETWORK 0.0.0.7 any
access-list 101 permit ip ISP1_NETWORK 0.0.0.15 any
!
route-map PUBLIC permit 10
 match ip address 100
 set ip default next-hop PUBLIC_GW2
!
route-map PUBLIC permit 20
 match ip address 101
 set ip default next-hop 192.168.2.1
!

Any  ideas guys, I am at my wits end here ....

Thanks as always !

8 Replies 8

OliverDarvall
Level 1
Level 1

Some more info. I have tried setting the Default Gateways(s) on Server1 and Server2 to the Core's ip address, to the respective ISP gateway addresses and tried local policies. None of it worked.

Hi Oliver , 

Have you got IP Address assigned to your server from the same segment ?? like for server 1 

ip address PUBLIC_IP1 255.255.255.240

and for server 2 

ip address PUBLIC_IP2 255.255.255.248

What is the gateway IP address assigned for both servers .

HTH

Sandy

Sandy, yes each server has an IP address assigned from the range from a respective ISP and that same ISP's gateway address is used as the Default Gateway.

Hi Oliver ,

Gateway IP address for server is your SVI VLAN of your Switch ??

No, I am using the ISP gateway addresses (I can ping them from the server).

Hi 

can you do trace route from your server to some public IP address , similarly do a trace route from your VPN router , which is connected in same VLAN . 

I have changed both routers to now point their gateways to the SVI VLAN of the core switch. It has actually improved the situation somewhat.

When I now do a test from an external PC and do a "telnet server_ip 80" then connection actually seems to connect instead of just timing out as it usually did. Also in a browser I go http://server_ip and something happens, although the page is empty, but no connection errors as before.

I eventually managed to resolve the issue with one of the servers (it turns out that server2's network card was bust, transmits but does not receive). I added a local policy to set the default gateways on the core. Then I added a route-map on the interfaces to set the next hops. I then also had to remove the default gateway as setup on the server and replace it with a few static permanent routes. Everything seemed fine after that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: