cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you bridge a VLAN?

dhekimian
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a scenario where I need to bridge traffic through a device without changing my network. I am evaluating a WAN acceleration device that can operate as a bridge to optimize my wan traffic. My switch is a Cat 6509 in one location and a 3750 in the other.

I have 2 firewalls that use VRRP for failover, but this WAN acceleration device only has one bridging interface (one IN (LAN) / one OUT (WAN)) so I can't just plug it in between the Firewall and Switch as most of their installations go. (Typically you would just unplug the cable from the Firewall into the Switch and plug it into the WAN port, then connect the LAN port into the Switch where the Firewall was previously plugged in.

I was thinking that I could put the 2 ports on the Switch that the Firewall currently plugs into in an new Vlan2 and then plug the WAN acceleration device

into both Vlan1 & Vlan2 to bridge the traffic.

Does this make any sense? Is there a term for what I'm trying to do?

Most importantly can someone point me in a direction of a document/ whitepaper / anything that might describe how to accomplish this?

- David

2 Replies 2

drigattieri
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

yes certainly, you can bridging 2 vlan!

how to do it:

you go to router/msfc console

then you must set: bridge 1 protocol ieee (in global configuration)

then, bridge-group 1 (at inside interface/vlan)

ex.

conf t

bridge 1 protocol ieee

interf vlan100

bridge-group 1

exit

!

interf vlan200

bridge-group 1

exit

exit

in this way we have configured the router to bridge the vlan100 and vlan200

I hope for to have been of help.

I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to do... Instead of using the MSFC to route between the VLANS, I need it to bridge (route) the traffic through two interfaces.

Conceptually:

- Server 10.1.1.1/24 on VLAN100

- Router 10.1.1.2/24 on VLAN101

- Server with a Bridging Network Card with one port in VLAN100 and the other port in VLAN101

The Server's default gateway is 10.1.1.2, but since it's not on the same VLAN, I need it to go through the Server with the Bridging NIC.

Does that description help?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: