cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you force an ospf Dr election

lorenzbauer
Level 1
Level 1

Is there any way to force an OSPF DR election, without a topology change?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I believe that MHM is on the right track. But I do not believe that you need to set all routers to priority 0. I believe that configuring the current DR to have priority 0 will force that router to stop being DR, allow the current BDR to become DR, and cause an election for a new BDR.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

config priority 0 in all other router, this force your router to be DR.

""A priority of 0 means you will never be elected as DR or BDR.""

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Is there any way to force an OSPF DR election, without a topology change?

Topology change does occur when the new DR comes in to picture.

highest OSPF priority will become a DR. By default, all routers have a priority of 1.

You can influence the DR and BDR election process by manually configuring the OSPF priority. This is done by using the ip ospf priority VALUE command interface command.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I believe that MHM is on the right track. But I do not believe that you need to set all routers to priority 0. I believe that configuring the current DR to have priority 0 will force that router to stop being DR, allow the current BDR to become DR, and cause an election for a new BDR.

HTH

Rick

@lorenzbauer @Richard Burts 

Old DR will make it priority zero 

How we 100% sure that there is no other router will be elect as DR.

That why i mnetion ALL ALL.

There is opsf clear process so there is no need to try and  clear process more than one time.

MHM you seem to interpret the original post as asking about how to force a particular router to become the DR. And you are correct that config priority 0 in all other router would result in the router you want to become the DR. But I don't think that is what the original post was really asking. I think the original question was fairly simple: how to force a new election of DR without having a topology change. And the answer is simple: on the current DR configure its priority to zero. That will force a new election and there is no topology change.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for clear this point, I was think that he ask how to force one router to be DR.

BUT
still we do new election to change DR router without change priority in all router we don't have 100% sure that we will get result we want.

It does depend on how you interpret the original question. There are at least 2 interpretations and each produces a different answer:

1) There is a current router which is DR and we want to force an election. We want this router to stop being DR and some other router starts being DR, and we are not particularly concerned which router that would be. The answer here is to change priority of one single router (the current DR) to zero.

2) There is a current router which is DR and we want to force an election. We want this router to stop being DR and we want a particular other router to become DR. The answer here is to change the priority of all routers to zero except for the one that we want to become DR.

Perhaps the original poster can clarify which was his original intent?

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: