cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot get out to Internet

kawin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I just brought up a Cisco 2620 router on my external network. It's in the same network as my border router.

I can ping to my gateway router but can't get out from there.

Here's my config.

Thanks!

version 12.1

service timestamps debug uptime

service timestamps log uptime

no service password-encryption

service udp-small-servers

service tcp-small-servers

!

hostname xxxxx

!

boot system flash

logging buffered 4096 debugging

enable secret 5 $1$KQv0$25W7ERj9hpHxIvn9lo.Ct1

!

!

!

!

!

ip subnet-zero

no ip source-route

no ip finger

ip name-server 1.1.1.1

ip name-server 1.1.1.2

!

!

!

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0

speed auto

half-duplex

!

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

no ip mroute-cache

shutdown

no fair-queue

!

ip default-gateway 206.217.239.1

ip classless

3 Replies 3

scarothe
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings:

Your configuration is incomplete. First, your serial0/0 interface is "shutdown", so no traffic can pass. Should this be "IP unnumbered" or did the ISP give you an address for that interface?

Second, the "IP default gateway" command will not work. You need a default route.

If the ISP gave you a 206.217.239.x address for serial0/0, you will look something like this.

interface Serial0/0

ip address 206.217.239.x (netmask)

no shutdown

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 206.217.239.1

I am just speculating on the configuration above based on experience. If you can indicate the IP addresses the ISP provided for each interface, I could be more specific. If you feel uncomfortable putting those in this forum, you will need to open a case.

Thanks...Steve

The default route did the trick.

I'm not using my serial port. From my border router, I cannot to a hub and one of the hub ports is populated by this 2620, going into its Ethernet port.

I took out the default-gateway command.

Thanks!

K

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Is this the configuration of your border router, or of the 2600? When you say you can "ping the default gateway", but cannot get out, can you get out to the internet on the default gateway? If so, it sounds like a routing or possibly an ARP issue. Or you can possibly clear arp on the default router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: