Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT6509-Upgrade Power Supplies (w Redundancy enabled) with NO downtime

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

My customer has a Catalyst 6509 currently being powered by two units 2500W AC power supplies with redundancy enabled.

There's a plan to upgrade both PS to 4000W AC but my customer does not allow any network downtime. I'm trying to plan the migration process. Referring to this URL,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a008020e0d3.html#wp1030022

can anyone verify the following steps are workable:

(1) Remove one of the 2500W PS. There'll be no change in module status because power capability is unchanged.

(2) Insert a 4000W PS. The system will disable the lower-wattage PS (i.e. the 2500W); the higher-wattage PS (i.e. the 4000W) will power the system. My BIGGEST question is; can the combination of 4000W & 2500W PS (or any combinations of different wattage PS) operate in the same chassis ??

(3) Remove the 2500W PS. There'll be no change in module status.

(4) Insert the other 4000W PS. System power will be equal to the power capability of one supply (i.e. 4000W). No change in module status because power capability is unchanged.

Please help.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes. I have done this in lab before and this can be done without any outage as long as a single 2500W power supply can handle all line cards you have.

Hi Prashanth,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you also answer the question; can any combinations of different wattage power supplies operate in the same chassis (C6509 & C6513 particularly) with redundancy enabled?

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Its not supported long term. OK for migration/upgrade process.