cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 2924-xl switch

rehan_uet
Level 1
Level 1

dear professionals i have a problem with cat 2924-xl switch which i want to share u so that someone will help me.

the problem is this, that i am not able to access the switch even through console port . when i try to access the console through hyperterminal the screen is blank even no garbage. and when i try to access the vty line through telnet, i got no success. through hyperterminal i have tried all the baudrates but failed.

9 Replies 9

o.hassairi
Level 1
Level 1

can u ping the switch?

When you connect to the switch via consose cable any hyperterminal, try to hit the ENTER key a few times, this helps sometimes...

yes I can ping the switch but can't access vty line or console line to configure it.

secondly according to one more advice I have used enter key many times while accessing through console line but failed all the times.

cverheij
Level 1
Level 1

Some questions about your console connection:

Are you sure your serialport on your station is okay?

Are you using a rollover cable?

Try ^s and ^q, maybe the output is paused.

Do you get any message when you try to telnet to it?

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Have you tried another terminal program (Tera Term, e.g.)?

Does your cable work OK with another switch?

What is the switch response to the Telnet?

HTH,

Milan

Milan thanks for ur interest , The message received in responce to the telnet is "host not responding" and i have also checked with another switch, the cable works perfectly

Haven't you changed the console setting to something wrong?

It looks strange to me that the switch is responding to ping and not to console...

Have you tried to simply reload it? I.e. switch the power off and on?

Do you have the switch startup config available?

Milan

Milan console settings are not wrong but now i can't ping the switch and i have also reload it many times but no success. I do't have startup config of the switch. The interesting point is the switch is exchanging cdp info with othe directly connected cisco devices from where i got the address for telnet.

So the last chance is to try Recovering from Corrupted Software procedure http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/118.html#general

I would try the initial instructions from password recovery procedure first, this might force the switch to communicate, see

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2900xl.html

Good luck,

Milan