cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 trouble

mcrosby23
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to get a Catalyst 2950 switch to work for over a week now. I received the switches with no box or packaging and I was told that there were no previous setup attempts on it. I tried performing the express setup but the lights on the server don't seem to behave the way the instructions explain. I also was never able to make a connection between the linux server I am trying to use to configure the switch and the switch. All i received was the switch and nothing else. I have an AC power cord and I also found an RJ45 - DB 9 adapter if needed. I have looked through alot of the manuals on the cisco main pages and nothing seems to be working or clicking. Please help!

29 Replies 29

phil.davenport
Level 1
Level 1

When you access the console port using a terminal emulator like hyperterm / tera term and restart the device what happens? You should see the boot sequence. Does it get to command prompt something like 'Switch>' ?

If so get into priviledged mode by entering 'enable' command, prompt should look like 'switch#'. If you then issue 'show version' command and copy output to txt file and also do same for 'show running-config' command and then post them as attachments on here so we can help.

HTH

--Phil

where do I get a terminal emulator from I have never heard of one to tell you the truth. Is this what i need to access the console port?

Yes to access the console port will require a terminal emulator. Windows Hyperterminal thats ships with Windows will suffice. Start > Programs > Accessories > Communication > hyperterminal. Settings are

Bits per second: 9600

Data bits: 8

Parity: None

Stop bits: 1

Flow control: None

You will also need a console cable - Did you say you had a console cable when you got the switch? ur RJ45 - db9 sounds the one. If so get it connected up to the switch using settings above, in hyperterminal in will be on one of your com ports.

Phil

Please rate useful posts.

Unfortunately i am using a linux server so i am unable to use that application. Will telnet in RedHat suffice and if so do I telnet the 10.0.0.1 ip address?

Ok, if telnet is setup on the switch (no enabled by default) then telnet 10.0.0.1 and enter the assigned password. Then issue the commands. Console access will be required if telnet is not enabled.

If you running linux you can still use the console from the shell. Do you have an app called minicom?

This link has a section on minicom that may help.

http://book.itzero.com/read/cisco/0510/Cisco.Press.Network.Administrators.Survival.Guide.Sep.2005.eBook-DDU_html/1587052113/ch01lev1sec2.html

minicom man page

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/minicom.1.html

You can use this instead of Hyperterminal. Use the same settings for minicom as I provided in previous post

--Phil

sean
Level 3
Level 3

When trying to connect to the console, are you using a null modem cable (cisco console cable)?

I am not sure if you have used this minicom before and will be able to answer this question. I log into minicom and first off it says that it cannot find a configuration file and it will use defaults. It also doesnt seem to ever connect. I can get to the first menu option of the serial port setup but the actual options never are displayed to me. I have an RJ45 to DB 9 connector cable and the RJ 45 is connected to the console on the switch and the DB9 is connected to the serial port of my linux box. Any idea why the trouble?

ok i disconnected the serial connection and was able to get to the results they had on the website but how do I know if i am using COM 1 or COM 2 to connect to the console?

I assumed I was using COM 1 so i set the settings to be identical to the ones on the website and was able to save the file but i was then not able to open the file from the terminal window like they said. I also noticed that my version of the program is not as recent as theres do you think updating it will make a difference?

Try arranging a windows laptop and follow the instrunction given by Phil,it will solve your purpose.

If you face any problem, write back, we will take it forward.

HTH,

-amit singh

I wanted to try that from the beginning but unfortunately i don't have access to a windows laptop. I will try updating the program and see if that works if that doesn't any other ideas?

ok i have reached the switch command prompt and i tried to enable it but i do not know the password. From what i understand this switch has not been used so what is the default password?

Sorry I didn't reply I've been out, I'm glad you've got to command prompt. Unfortunatly there is not a default password, chances are this switch has been used. You are now going to learn how to perform password recovery :o)

Follow these instruction from Cisco to the letter.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

Break key sequence for minicom can be found here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

We'll get there in the end with this one!

HTH

--Phil

hello thanks for everything so far phil i really appreciate it. I was able to do the password recovery no problem and i attached the two files you previously requested. I'll look forward to hearing from you for the next step.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: