Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 3500 xl mac filtering

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all...

I have a problem. I just took over managing a segment of my corporate network that has a catalyst xl 3500 switch. The previous network admin had configured port security on the switch, so it would shutdown the port if the secure mac address configured for that port wasn't detected.

The problem is that I'd like to disable port-security for one of the ports, but I'm having problems with it. I've gone into interface-config in the ios and typed the appropriate command to disable port security on that port, and I've removed the secure mac address for that port from the mac-address-table. However, although the port doesn't shutdown (the light stays on) it still won't accept any traffic over that port.

I can reset the switch to factory defaults and it will work just fine, but when I reload the full config, it simply won't communicate unless I configure a secure mac address for the port in question.

Does anyone have any clues on this?

By the way, I'm sorry if it's something simple, but I'm by no means a CCNA. So thanks in advance :)

1 Reply 1

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

can you paste the config for the interface in question. You can get it by doing a 'sh run interface fastethernet0/x"